Thursday, December 27, 2007

TV: post holiday revelations

Over the holidays I watched SO much television! My parents and I watched A Christmas Carol with George C. Scott, I watched a couple of cartoons like Rudolf and Frosty the Snowman... and the rest was just a blur... my parents rented some bad movie called, "Deck the Halls" with Matthew Broderick and Danny Devito (huh?) Sooo... after that, I came home to Brooklyn last night, exhausted.. to a house with an empty fridge and a stinky litter box. So, after cleaning I grabbed a bottle of wine, I laid on the couch in my bathrobe with a blanket to watch Law & Order reruns... it suddenly occurred to me.. wow what was supposed to be a night of total relaxation has actually ended up making me feel depressed! All this TV is depressing.. I mean, when the TV is on, your REAL life is put on hold... books are put aside (ok, books can be an escape, but at least you're using your imagination), conversations shushed, tasks aren't completed.. isn't it counter productive? Yuck! I've lived successfully without television for years, and all of a sudden I find that I'm watching at least 5 hours of TV per week... (most of it is Law & Order) I wonder if TV is a contributing factor to so many Americans being on anti-depressants? All of the escapism obviously makes reality harder to digest when it all piles up.


No comments: