Saturday, February 14, 2009

Friday the 13th

Yah, so that's old news already right? "It's so yesterday"..
Well, to solidify the fact that I am a total dork, and that I live with dorks, we watched the very first Friday the 13th film, dating from 1980. Saying that the film was horrible is sort of an understatement, and that may have something to do with the fact that I have grown accustomed to a higher and more graphic level of violence than what this film offered. In terms of the pace of the film, it was sloowwwww and really uneventful. People were murdered and half the time, you didn't see them actually get murdered, you just saw them afterwards... bummer. In the end of the film, (well if you haven't already seen it, I'm not worried about spoiling it for you, since you've had 29 years to watch..) Jason isn't even the killer, it's his mom! And she's just this chubbly short woman!! During the film, there's a scene where person chases a girl through the woods (this person isn't seen by us, only his legs, and I say "his" because they were definitely dude legs), and in another one, a dead woman's body is thrown through a window. I'm not really sure how this little old lady managed to trick me so well.. so strong and with such masculine legs... But I'm too much of a movie critic for my own good sometimes.

So after the movie was over, I decided to look online to find out where they filmed this movie. The whole thing takes place at "Camp Crystal Lake" which is obviously not a real place, but none the less, I Googled the name, and found this completely hysterical article in the Onion, "Cheney Returns to Camp Crystal Lake", which left me laughing so hard that I was crying. I'm not sure how funny you'll find it if you don't know the movies and if you don't know the humor associated with Dick Cheney (our former Vice President under Bush), but for those who will get "it" will surely think this is freaking funny. I also found this other article, "Cheney Vows to Attack U.S. if Kerry Elected" which was SO over the top... I'd forgotten just how much I love the folks over at the Onion.

Here's an excerpt: "Make no mistake: If Kerry becomes president, no one will be safe from me," Cheney told reporters. "Businesses, places of worship, schools, public parks: No place will offer you refuge. A vote for Kerry is a vote to die in your own bed at the hands of Dick Cheney."

Oh, and a fun fact, the movie was filmed in New Jersey.


No comments: