Saturday, April 4, 2009

whew!

I think this has been the most complicated tutorial that I've done in terms of the amount of steps and work involved in each separate component of the design. It wasn't as frustrating as the castle tutorial. Maybe that's because I've been working in Photoshop over the past several weeks in school... although, I did have to use my "call a friend" option for this one as well. I'm okay with that though because that's what friends are for! After that brief stumbling block (somewhere around step 14) I cruised through the rest of the lesson with relative ease.

The best learning part of this tutorial- adjustment layers and layer masks. Usually if I were making changes to a layer, I would just click on image>adjustment>and choose whatever adjustment I want, but with an adjustment layer, I can create a new layer above the original and make the changes, and because the adjustment layer is also a mask, I can then go in with a black paint brush and remove areas of the new effect that I don't want, showing the layer below though selectively. If I don't want the adjustment layer anymore down the line, I just delete it, and I'm not compromising anything in my work.

The most challenging parts- using the clone stamp and spot healing tools to expand the sky and the brush tool to create the swirl between the woman and the bird. I am not very competent with any of those, so getting used to the way that they work was quite a task. I think I spent the most of my time on those 2 areas of this entire project.

I chose to change some of the details based on my own aesthetic preferences and I'm pleased with the final result for sure. There were quite a few images used to create this scene, and below are a few of them, followed by the finished result.

Overall I think this is a fabulous tutorial for people who are comfortable with the basic skills required to use PS because you already understand layers and masks. The repetition involved here really helps to drive home the value of what you're doing so that you will be able to actually go ahead and use them in your own projects. You can find this tutorial along with the required images at psd tuts and the creator of the tutorial is a freelance graphic designer named Constantin Potorac. You can visit his personal site here.

sky

foreground

waterfall



finished example

my version

You can click on the bottom two images to see them in greater detail

No comments: