Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Definitely one of the things that I like...




How do you like this stunning chandelier? It gives off a beautiful glow, and looks simple in its design, yet elegant. A Portuguese design company, "Studio Verissimo" is responsible for this recycle/reuse design, aptly named "spoon".

If you take a closer look, this entire chandelier is constructed of plastic coffee stirrers. I don't know if they actually used these stirrers before working with them, but since this is very concept driven it may be the idea and impact rather than the designer actually sourcing these after their use. I'd be interested to know.

Taking this a step further, if you have a look at their website, you'll see that they've come up with a few really fabulous ideas. Something that I need - is this ceramic mug, entitled, "help" which is designed to help people make rice! I cannot make rice myself, so this would be very useful...



Not all of the designs on their site seem as functional, but I don't think that's the point! The designers are Cláudio Cardoso and Telma Veríssimo and they say that they've, "set a goal of making people happy and light-filled with their designs." I definitely think they've found success.

Have a look at their clever designs and give the chandelier a read over at Apartment Therapy or inhabitat.

(photos via Apartment Therapy)

2 comments:

Dean said...

That chandelier is remarkable. What a simple, yet affective idea!

Mlle said...

I know! I think it was Apartment Therapy who mentioned that there are other plastic disposables that would work for this as well.