Sunday, January 4, 2009

how to put yourself in a box

I have this friend. He and I have had a very complicated relationship. We've been friends, more than friends, then friends again, and then just two people who can't get along. How human relationships grow and change constantly is one of those things in life that is always going to be difficult for me to get used to.

One of the last times that we spoke, we'd had another fight. Later, I received a note from him, asking me to take a Carl Jung Typology Test... because he wanted to see if the results could help him understand the cause of our "friction". It should be no surprise that his personality type is INTJ (introverted intuitive THINKING JUDGING) and he likes to analyze everything. Anyway I took this quiz and apparently I am ISFP (introverted sensing feeling perceiving.) I'll be honest, I read through my results and was shocked at how true they are - not only the way I see myself, but what other people have said about me.

I don't know if doing the test and reading the results effected my life in any significant way, but you may enjoy giving it a try for yourself.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just did this and found I'm an INFJ which was scarily accurate also. Interesting... :)

Mlle said...

Ahh interesting! I gave it a read and can definitely see you in that description. I think what I'm left with after taking the test though, is what can you do with this information moving forward,if anything?

Alison said...

I don't know that you can actually 'do' anything with the info, other than accept who you are. I think we often waste a lot of time trying to change our natures to what we or others think we should be instead of focusing on the gifts we have and how they make us uniquely who we are.

Mlle said...

That's a great point :) I think these tests.. maybe it's sort of silly to assume that some multiple choice questions can define you. Reducing your entire being to a collection of data... seems odd, doesn't it?

Regardless, sometimes it's nice to take a moment to discover something about yourself, even if it's all about interpretation.